The ministers of European affairs from the Party of European Socialists called for greater European solidarity
to build up a true European asylum and migration policy
German Minister for Europe Michael Roth, the Chair of this PES network said:“Europe is a community of values. We need to have a common response to migration and asylum, we need to be consistent. If we don’t have a clear, common set of rules, migrants will continue to risk their lives in the Mediterranean. This human cost is unbearable. We need all countries to participate in our common effort and welcome those who are granted the right to stay. Solidarity is a fundamental pillar of the European Union and no successful migration policy will do without it”.
The meeting was attended by:
- Michael Roth, Minister of State for Europe, Chair
- Helena Dalli, Minister for European Affairs and Equality, Malta
- Ana Paula Zacarias, Secretary of State for European Affairs, Portugal
- Victor Negrescu, Minister Delegate for European Affairs, Romania
- Ann Linde, Minister for EU Affairs and Trade, Sweden
- George Katrougalos, Alternate Minister for Foreign Affairs, Greece (observer)
- Maria João Rodrigues, Vice-President of the S&D Group European Parliament
- Frazer Clarke, Deputy Secretary General of the S&D Group European Parliament
More info here.